PDA

View Full Version : RAM problem

hypnosis75
09-09-2009, 11:14 PM
Bought and installed a 4gb kit of RAM today (4x1gb) as per the recommendations of the crucial scan result however when i turned the pc on it wont go into boot up, the screen is just black, no bios nothing.

If i take out one pair, either pair, it works fine and boots up as normal so i tried adding 2 of my old ram and its accepted those and shows 2.5gb, any ideas why it wont accept the full 4gb?? From what ive read and been told i didnt expect it to show AND use the full 4gb but it wont even start up with the 4gb.

Could it be settings in the bios or something maybe??

The ram ive bought is CORSAIR XMS ddr2 pc2-6400 as per the crucial scan

snow
09-09-2009, 11:40 PM
That definately sounds strange. It sounds like the motherboard doesn't like being presented with 4GB of RAM, even though your motherboard specs clearly state that it can handle up to 4GB.

I think this could be an older BIOS version that might have problems handling 4GB of RAM. If you go into your BIOS, can you tell us what version it says it is?

hypnosis75
10-09-2009, 03:26 AM
That definately sounds strange. It sounds like the motherboard doesn't like being presented with 4GB of RAM, even though your motherboard specs clearly state that it can handle up to 4GB.

I think this could be an older BIOS version that might have problems handling 4GB of RAM. If you go into your BIOS, can you tell us what version it says it is?

That brings me to the next problem, i cant access the BIOS although system info says its INTELCORP.NT94510J.86A.3592.2006.0222.1655, 2/22/2006

Jeez im just not having a good time at the min hence about 5 diff threads on here!