PDA

View Full Version : Adobe Applications do not start up

davejobs
07-04-2008, 12:52 PM
Hello

I have what I first suspected to be a Photoshop / Adobe problem but now I'm not so sure.

Both Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator fail to load. With Photoshop the opening splash credit window opens and I can see the initialising processes running. However, it freezes at 'Initialising Colour Preferences.' I 'deleted' the preferences using Shift+Control+Alt prior to starting up the application but this didn't solve the problem.

Adobe Illustrator gets to the splash screen but freezes instantly.

I think this might be a bigger problem however.

Although I can open PDF files and JPEG, if I attempt to make any change to either (change file name, right click an un-opened file, delete), these too freeze.

All of my Microsoft applications work fine (Word, Excel, Outlook...)

Any thoughts?

maynardvdm
07-04-2008, 01:58 PM
Hi Dave

Welcome to Free PC Help.

What anti-virus software are you using? Do you recieve any error messages at all?

When it freezes, do you have to restart or does it start working after a while?

Wolfeymole
07-04-2008, 04:22 PM
Hi Dave

Did you have a look at the Adobe Photoshop Support Site?

Adobe - Photoshop Support Center (http://www.adobe.com/support/photoshop/)

davejobs
07-04-2008, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the welcome.

Re. Anti-Virus Software. I'm using Kaspersky Internet Security. I had a problem before when the firewall prevented me accessing Windows Internet Explorer which I resolved. Not sure if it also preventing access here...

Re. Photoshop. There are no error messages. When the splash opening credit window opens and runs its initialising processes, its always freezes at 'Initialising Colour Preferences.' I've tried waiting for an extended period but it remains frozen. Online advice that I've read suggested deleted the Preferences which I did using Shift+Contrl+Alt. That didn't work. To close Photoshop I then use Windows Task Manager which states Photoshop 'not responding.'

Re. Re Illustrator and InDesign, I click icon to load but but I don't even get the opening credit window. Also, they don't appear in the Windows Task Manager.

Re. JPEG files. I can open them sometimes. However, on most occassions I get a message 'Drawing, Please Wait'. I am not able to make any changes / amendments at all to JPEGs. Again, the window freezes and I have to close via Windows Task Manager.

Re. PDF files. Same as JPEGs.

Even if I right-click a Photoshop, Illustrator, JPEG, PDF file from Windows Explorer without attempting to open the actual associated application, Windows Explorer freezes and I have to close via Windows Task Manager

I wondered if I had insufficient memory but isn't the case.

I've never encountered this problem before.

Would uninstalling all Adobe applications and reinstalling help? I don't see how this would solve the JPEG problem.

Thanks for your input.

Wolfeymole
07-04-2008, 04:50 PM
I'd definitely uninstall and reinstall Dave.
Also run a Search for all instances of Adobe and remove them before installing once more.

AdvancedSetup
07-04-2008, 06:40 PM
You may want to try running DISK CLEANUP and also run
START -> RUN -> and type in CHKDSK /F
when the black DOS box comes up press the Y key to allow the system to check your hard drive for errors on next reboot.
Then shut down your computer and restart it again to check the drive for errors.

davejobs
09-04-2008, 11:13 AM
You may want to try running DISK CLEANUP and also run
START -> RUN -> and type in CHKDSK /F
when the black DOS box comes up press the Y key to allow the system to check your hard drive for errors on next reboot.
Then shut down your computer and restart it again to check the drive for errors.

I gave DISK CLEAN and CHKDSK /F a try but it didn't fix the problem.

I also DEFRAGed my hard drive (which I do reasonably regugarly anyway).

I'm not sure if the problem is linked, but the problem manifested shortly after I used the 'Get Rid of System Junk' (useless files, system debris, clutter) and 'Clean Up Your Tracks' (internet history, access applications & files) applications in my iolo System Mechanic utility.

This past day or so, Microsoft Office applications (Word / Excel) have been sluggish and Word is not shutting down after use.

I'm waiting for receipt of a second external hard drive so I can back-up my back-up files.

Once done, I'll uninstall my Adobe applications and reinstall. But given the problems with JPEG files and Microsoft Office applications, this suggests a wider system problem??

Any other thoughts?

davejobs
09-04-2008, 03:28 PM
Just checking my TEMP folder as I suspect maybe there is a system memoory issue here.

Although I cleaned down Temporary files and other system junk, my TEMP folder has 8.5 GB of data / files still in it. And within the folder are some files large files viz:

NAME...........................SIZE..............T YPE.......
Photoshop Temp4868......1,860,012kb....File
Photoshop Temp193036...1,074,348kb....File

There are other of similar size.

These were last modfied last year i.e. well before my problems as outlined started.

Could this be related?

Can I delete these files?

AdvancedSetup
09-04-2008, 09:50 PM
Well that sure sounds like SYSTEM MECHANIC is not doing a very good job.

Try using this utility and let us know if it cleans up the temp or not.

Follow these instructions carefully.
Download ATF-Cleaner from Snapfiles.com (http://www.snapfiles.com/get/atfcleaner.html) to remove "junk" files from your computer that may contain malware.
You can also download it from Majorgeeks.com (http://www.majorgeeks.com/ATF_Cleaner_d4949.html)
When you run ATF-Cleaner, check the items as shown below for Main.
For FireFox, be sure to click on the FireFox tab on top and check the items as shown below for FireFox
NOTE: If you don't have FireFox or Opera installed then they will be grayed out and can be ignored
Then click on "Empty Selected".
http://kixhelp.com/wr/images-freepchelp/atf-cleaner01.gif . http://kixhelp.com/wr/images-freepchelp/atf-cleaner02.gif