PDA

View Full Version : RAM only partly recognized. Please help!

munyosz
22-07-2010, 06:51 PM
My computer Specs:
Motherboard: Abit AN78GS
Processor: AMD Phenom 8650 Triple Core, 2.30 GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS
RAM: 2 GB, 800 MHz (1 module of Crucial 2GB that's already in there, for 2 years now, and the new one i want to put in is Kingston 2 GB , yes it is made to work with my motherboard, i double checked it on their site. Both 240 pin)

My problem:
I have recently bought games and video editing software that require way more memory than i have.
I have the old Crucial 2GB RAM module. I bought a 2 GB Kingston module , put it in carefully as instructed. I switched on the computer , and checked it in CCleaner and it only showed 3.5 GB instead of the expected 4 GB. I put them into different slots and still 3.5 GB. When I took out the new one it went back to 2 GB. I bought a new Kingston 2 GB thinking i was given a faulty one. Same thing but this time my computer only showed 3 GB of RAM .
Meanwhile in the BIOS, the 3 modules are fully recognised. I downloaded Memtest86+. Now it is running with 4 passes without any errors. I tested all 3. No errors after analysis.
So why is my Windows not recognising the RAM modules?
Any ideas?
Thank You in advance for responses.

BeeCeeBee
22-07-2010, 09:56 PM
I'm not a hardware expert. (I should have that saved so I don't have to type it each time.:rolleyes: ) But two things occur to me. I believe that GPU uses up to 512MB which would effect what is left for your PC.

Additionally if the RAM is mismatched that too may effect what is being shown and available for use.

Armageddon
23-07-2010, 02:20 AM
Hi a 32bit operating system will only recognise 3-3.5 gig of RAM to utilise the full 4gig you need a 64bit operating system

Dalo Harkin
23-07-2010, 07:58 AM
A 32 Bit OS will recognise exactly 3.75GB of RAM (if you have over this amount)
And BeeCeeBee is right the 512 on the GPU will be 'added' to the total system count.

You do need a 64Bit OS if you plan on using more RAM